Indulge yourself and your family with this delicious and nutritious gluten free treat. The cake, soft and moist, is to die for. The coconut oil, cacao and quinoa bring benefits that include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism. Get healthier and be happy!!!
Ingredients (6 – 8 servings)
- 2/3 cups quinoa, cooked as per package instructions
- ½ cup almond or coconut milk
- 4 eggs or eggs substitute equivalent
- 2 cups kale leaves (without stem)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons double-acting aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick coconut oil cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, place cacao powder, baking powder and baking soda and whisk until combined.
- Place eggs or egg substitute, coconut oil, almond or coconut milk and vanilla in the blender. Add kale and brown sugar, and process 2 minutes, until frothy and well blended. If using egg substitute, place 4 tablespoon of flaxseed meal and 8 tablespoons of cold water in a blender and blend about 30 seconds, until mixture is gummy.
- Add cooked quinoa and processed for 1 more minute.
- Mix liquid into dry ingredients, stir until combined. Add dark chocolate chips and stir gently (optional), then quickly spoon batter into a 9-inch round.
- Bake 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and does not feel sticky.
- Cool for at least 45 minutes.
- May cover the cake with melted dark chocolate